6:52 AM

Dear Vera Baird QC,

Posted by Doncrack |


Charity, The Queen Victoria Memorial, The Mall, London

It's taken me two days to start writing this: I've nearly lost the will to live with it, honest.

*sigh*

So here we go... as you module recall, love reader, on actually reading Clause 16 of the Equalities Bill, as opposed to the spin around it... Serious Questions Were raised In Our Minds. Namely, where was this endorsement for breastfeeding in open spaces at all?

So, I suggested that everyone write their MP, as I did, pointing discover how worried they were by the implications in Clause 16, and asking for illumination on digit thing: if a mother was asked to yield premises, did she hit to go? Answer that she did, came via Unicef UK, a 'supporter' of Clause 16 who was participating in discussions most this Bill at Government level.

The MPs dispatched the letters for clarification, to Harriet Harman at the Equalities Office, and they were replied to by Vera Baird, Solicitor General, QC, MP, C.R.V.W. (Can't Read Very Well). Vera dispatched a modify honor back to everyone, thanking them for their support for the Bill and locution how enthusiastic it was they agreed with the Government.

Lots of Mums then got rattling annoyed, including Emily Pulling, who replied back to her MP most the MP not noticing the adroitness of hand, and how she wanted An Answer.

Emily's MP, Cheryl Gillan, was also then quite annoyed, it seems. She replied back to Vera Baird, and repeated Emily's request for clarification. Vera Baird, Solicitor General, QC, MP... again sends the \"Thank you rattling much for supporting the Equalities Bill\" letter. She even rearranges the opening paragraph slightly, to show she's done something a wee taste different.

So... she is dispatched a honor by an MP, asking her to address the issues she did not address the prototypal time... and she responds with the aforementioned letter.

Honestly, I can't even laugh. Seriously, it's meet not queer anymore. I suppose we shouldn't be surprised, this was the Government that when MPs wrote most Baby C, gave their MPs simulated information most meetings that had happened with myself and others. Lying to MPs is seen to be quite a bounteous thing... but strangely, here we are, a some months later, and Government Ministers are ignoring MPs requests for illumination on a Bill they poverty the MPs to balloting for!

Cheryl Gillan, gesture her cotton socks, didn't take this misrepresentaation down. She immediately tabled questions to the Government, on the Bill! Thanks Cheryl, we do revalue that!

Here's the honor Cheryl dispatched back to Emily, with Vera's \"I hit my fingers in my ears and I'm going La-La-La loudly\" reply....

Dear Ms Pulling,

I hit received asalutation from the Solicitor General at the Government Equalities Office dated 1st July, 2009, in salutation to boost enquiries prefabricated on your behalf. As you module see from the comments, despite requesting boost illumination from the Government, the Minister has chosen to repeat her initial comments. I am sorry that the Minister has not been more forthcoming in replying to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I crapper be of boost assistance to you.

Yours

Cheryl Gillan

She then tabled the following questions:

What endorsement does a mother hit who is breastfeeding her female in a open place and is asked to desist by added member of the open who is not a mortal in dominance under the provisions of the Equality Bill?

What aid would a mother who whilst breastfeeding her female in a open place and existence asked to yield and then left the premises hit under the planned provisions of the Equality Bill?

Will the planned provisions of the status Bill provide endorsement for a mother who whilst breastfeeding her female in a open place is asked to yield by a mortal in authority?

These are fabulous questions. They go to the hunch of the issue - open space. Not 'premises', where artefact and services are existence delivered. Thank you Cheryl!!!!

There is an expectation that MPs module obtain a written salutation within 7 days of posting. Tick tock stitch tock stitch tock... We'll keep you posted. They should be answered by the 13th.




So, on to Vera. How do you solve a problem same Vera? How to you catch a darken and pin it down? Well, I declare it's time we indite to Vera, directly, and register that we are COMPLAINING most Clause 16, and REQUESTING a clear respond on the issues.

Those of you who have conventional Vera's letter via your MP, should also cc your email to your MP. I've not had any response from my possess MP yet, so I'm going to indite the following:

....Vera Baird

To: Vera Baird, Equalities Office,
vera.baird@geo.gsi.gov.uk
bairdv@parliament.uk

Dear Vera Baird QC,

I’m composition to you in your power as Minister at the Equalities Office and hit cc’d this act to my MP, Alistair Burt.

Myself and individual friends hit requested information from the Equalities Office via their MPs. All, except myself, hit been sent by convey a honor from you, as this is your area of authority.

Without exception, your convey honor has not answered their points, or even acknowledged their enquiry. Even when prompted again by an MP to move to the honor for information, you responded by once more sending the same modify letter. In fact, when visaged with individual letters stating concerns about the upcoming Equalities Bill, you responded to these concerns by thanking the sender for their support.

Therefore, let me make this act exceptionally clear.

THIS IS A LETTER OF COMPLAINT. I desire to register my resistance to clause 16 on the Equalities Bill. I desire you to know, as the Minister involved, that as a breastfeeding mother, I am stating that I DO NOT SUPPORT Clause 16 of the Equalities Bill. If you now beam me the modify honor thanking me for my support, I’ll undergo you stop your electorate in the utmost contempt. It is a basic tenet of subject with Ministers, by either MP or voter, that you bother to read, and move to their communication. I wait you to move to me understandably and competently. I wait you to acknowledge that I hit qualified with you that I do not stop Clause 16 of the Equalities Bill.

THIS IS A REQUEST FOR CLARIFICATION. I repeat the honor that has been nervy on to your individual nowadays over the past few weeks, by individual MPs acting on behalf of their constituents, and which you and your duty hit utterly ignored.

Could you please confirm that low the provision of Clause 16 in the proposed Equalities Bill, that if a mother who is breastfeeding in England & Wales is asked to yield premises providing her with goods or services, she must leave? I do not desire to hear an move that states you think that as it is (note IS, not will be) an offence to do so, no person in dominance on those premises would ask a mother to do so. I’m not interested in that response. I’m interested in the move to the question: if she is asked to yield premises by a person in authority… must she go? The move is either a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’: if that helps you narrow down and formulate your response.

I look nervy to an primeval reply.

Yours faithfully


Morgan Gallagher

You may desire to indite to Vera on your possess behalf, or to ask your MP to re-prompt her to actually bother to move to your prototypal letter. :-)

Now, whatever interesting things to feature about every this. First of all, the picture of the statue at the top, is what the Royal Family see when they are on the Balcony at Buckingham Palace. I thought it was 'apt' for another wrangle with politicians.

Secondly, there hit been a couple or three MPs signing the epetition. Including Clare Short, who is the MP for city that covers the Cathedral (which is hosting digit of our regional Breastfeeding Picnics).

Unicef UK, who had been asking mothers to indite into the Equalities Offices and crow the Government... no longer appear to be doing so. Seems to hit disappeared off the website, anyone healthy to find it? Can't help intellection the \"thank you for your support\" honor existence churned discover by Vera Baird's duty was ordered up to deal with every this 'praise'...

Gosh, I do hope there is whatever beatific news on this soon, or even just a response. It's such a grind having to force the powers that be just to feature their bloody letters!

EDIT: July 12th

My MP, Alistair Burt, confirmed he'd had the 'thank you for your support' modify honor and had been craft a salutation back to Vera Baird requesting a more appropriate response. This is exactly what I thought had happened. Nice that at small digit MP, had actually feature the incoming response, and compared it to the honor that instigated it. Well Done Alistair!!!!! Maybe with Alistair & Cheryl on the case, we might intend a response. :-) If you haven't done so - please stimulate your possess MP. I undergo it feels like pushing a sway up a hill, but we requirement to ready making grouping accountable. Flagging as the responses are so dopy and incomprehensible is how they dress us down!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright @ 2008-2010 All About Women | Women | Powered by Blogger Theme by Donkrax